WEBINAR – NON-FATAL STRANGULATION IN MARYLAND: THE LAW, LETHALITY FACTORS, SIGNS & SYMPTOMS, & COMMUNITY RESOURCES
The Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence (MNADV) in partnership with The Bridge invites you to an important training on Non-Fatal Strangulation. Subject matter experts will present on the most up-to-date information needed by advocates, law enforcement, medical professionals, prosecutors, and other stakeholders to respond to survivors who have experienced non-fatal strangulation. This interactive training centers on a hypothetical case review and will offer the opportunity for participants to work through scenarios based on their role in the system.
- Debbie Feinstein, Esq. Chief, Special Victims Division, Montgomery County State’s Attorney’s Office
- Thomas Manion Director, Family Justice Center Montgomery County
- Dr. Jessica Volz Director, Forensic Medical Unit, Adventist Health, Shady Grove Medical Center
- To address the implementation of the new strangulation law.
- To understand the difference between strangulation and choking.
- To understand the lethality risks associated with strangulation.
- To identify the signs (or lack thereof) and symptoms of strangulation.
- To identify community resources for victims of strangulation.
- To discuss how community partners can work together in the identification of strangulation, provision of appropriate medical care, law enforcement investigation, and prosecution of cases.